Thursday, January 04, 2007

Popcorn ballet

I was in a great hurry last night to get out of the house and on to a meeting. Instead of the sandwich I'd planned on, I made a bag of microwave popcorn, dumped it in an enormous plastic bowl, and hit the road. I drove one-handed, stuffing popcorn in my mouth with the other hand. When I arrived, I brushed the inevitable stray crumbs off my person before joining the meeting.

Afterward, on the way home I had to stop at a long light at a busy intersection. I opened the window and emptied the bowl onto the road. Half a minute later I was transfixed, watching a dozen small white fluffies make their way out to play in the middle of the street. They were rolling and bouncing, dancing with the traffic. I was amazed how they glowed in the headlights, like motes of dust on a bright afternoon.

No comments: