Tuesday, January 15, 2008

There's no good time

I was just finishing yesterday's "Fun Monday" post when we got the call from my dad at the hospice. He let us know that my mother was fading faster than they'd expected. So we put some quick sustenance in ourselves and drove out there. We arrived in time and were with her during her last hours. The hospice people were wonderful, and I cannot imagine a more comforting and caring environment. It diminished our fear and pain.

I'd like to say something profound, and I probably could eventually, but my first impression was that this was the weirdest situation I'd ever been in. Surreal. We each acted according to our nature; I journaled instead of talking. I'm very glad we were there. It is very sad, and I know there will be aching times ahead for all of us. But we're in a bubble in time where we can appreciate her life, talk about her with friends, and be glad on some level that she's at peace.

3 comments:

laurie said...

oh my. i'm so sorry. i lost my father three years ago today.

i'm glad you were there in time. profundity can wait.

Cynthia said...

gee, I am sorry.

Anonymous said...

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dílis.

Táim ag smaoineamh ort, a Stwidgie.